Barefoot on Warfarin?

Enso108

Barefooters
Feb 27, 2012
Scotland
I'm due to have an aortic valve replacement in the new year and post op I will be on warfarin. Once I'm on the road to recovery I would like to return to barefoot running but I guess completely barefoot will be a no no?
With gratitude
Gary

Conventional wisdom says so, but BFRunners are far from conventional!
You will end up with cuts and scrapes on other parts of your body during your anti-clotting therepy, and will control the bleeding with pressure until you eventually clot. In the rare event you slice your foot running barefoot, you will do the same.
Anecdotal evidence from hundreds of barefoot runners, hikers, and livers shows that we draw no more blood then the shod.
Remember......following recovery from the valve job regular cardio is key to long term health. BFRunning is more likely to allow you to continue your regular cardio activity than any other (all things considered...including when factoring in boredom such as with eliptical trainers) method.

Conventional wisdom says so, but BFRunners are far from conventional!
You will end up with cuts and scrapes on other parts of your body during your anti-clotting therepy, and will control the bleeding with pressure until you eventually clot. In the rare event you slice your foot running barefoot, you will do the same.
Anecdotal evidence from hundreds of barefoot runners, hikers, and livers shows that we draw no more blood then the shod.
Remember......following recovery from the valve job regular cardio is key to long term health. BFRunning is more likely to allow you to continue your regular cardio activity than any other (all things considered...including when factoring in boredom such as with eliptical trainers) method.
This is what I'm wanting to hear, Thank you! :)

Diabetics are warned against going barefoot even in their own homes well before they have any evidence of neuropathy. This is based on poor circulation in the extremities resulting in dealyed healing and greater chance of infection.
Several members of the SBL are diabetic and go barefoot practicaly 24/7 with no untoward results.
Why? Because they cut themselves LESS then their shod abraded-foot diabetic brethren do, and circulation in the feet has been enhanced from all the barefoot activity pumping the vessels.
It's easy to repeat simplistic rules, but many are baseless in the face of evidence.

Well, Board, something to think about with the diabetes recommendation.

I guess I have neuropathy, since I have had four neuromas amputated, then four stump neuromas (and soon to be five amputated) and nerve endings re-implanted, and two tarsal tunnel decompression/releases, but I can't get a diagnosis for neuropathy! Go figure! Anywho, regardless, I can't wear the very damn things that did this to me in the first place, so I won't...unless I want to deal with the pain that comes with it (still test driving my new nerve anatomy).

Sorry to takeover your thread, Enso. I'm just so frustrated with all this, and it's good to let it out once in awhile. One of the doctors should be by soon to answer your questions.

TJ the diabetics with neuropathy are concerned that they may not be aware that they have injured themselves and will not have the reflex to respond to the puncture or laceration properly at it's first signals.
Does your numbness from the neuromas and their surgical treatments prevent you from feeling plantar surface stimuli?

I know. At the moment, yes, but if I can get rid of the exaggerated pain through more swimming, then I will have to worry about stepping on stuff and always having to check my feet.

Well you'll become the test subject then. If despite the numbness you continue to run barefoot with less injury than the average shod runner we will end up having yet one more barefoot myth debunked.

Thanks, Doc. Long story. I'll write soon.

Agree with Dr. N or the Warfarin. Running fine.....rock climbing maybe not if fall could be far and you could hit your head really hard.

On the neuropathy issue. We all want to prevent atrophy , foot weakening, and structural deformity. So whatever the degree of neuropathy...foot health is critical.

Dr. Mark

Reactions: Enso108 and Sid