Barefoot Interval training

louiewendell

Barefooters
Jun 1, 2010
I'm currently taking a speed class on a track and was curious if some of you more experienced BF runners have words of advice doing this type of workout bare? There's probably 50 people taking the class and of course, I'm the only barefoot runner, so I've gotten some typical remarks but everyone is pretty positive. Still they are curious what it's like running bare on the track- particularly doing speed work and to be honest, I am too. I'm only one session in so I don't have much to say about it yet but so far so good. I was a bit concerned that the track would eat my feet up but fortunately, I've been spared- this one time anyway. I was dealing with some TOFP and I'm pretty certain it was a combination of "too much too soon" and improper form but after 2 weeks of complete concentration on foot strike, consciously lifting instead of pushing off and increasing my cadence- I think I'm on my way to getting a decent form. I've finally lost the pain I was plagued with for the third and fourth week of my transition. Obviously it's not from slowing down my pace since I'm taking a speed class! :crazy: Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. Am I nuts for doing speedwork this early in my transition? I'm really an impatient person and if I had to sacrifice mileage- I wanted to make up for it by attempting to increase my speed. At least as much as possible anyway. I have my first 5k since going BF over the Fourth weekend. I'm determined to PR. Shorter distances aren't my strong suit but I'm not ready to take on the longer runs bare quite yet. Although, I have some on my race calendar in October and November which leads me to my next question... how long did you run BF before taking on a half or a full marathon?

I ran my my first half 2-1/2

I ran my my first half 2-1/2 months after I started to transition. I actually wore my boat anchors for the first 5 miles and then when I just couldn't stand the pain from the shoes compressing on the neuromas any longers, I took them off and completed the Half completely barefoot. Why I carried them for those 8 miles, I have no idea. I should have left them in a ditch.

My next Half was two months after that, and I wore VFF Sprints for that.

I then ran a bunch of different distance races barefoot before my next Half which was six months later in which I ran it barefoot.

Then I ran a 15K race in aquasocks, since it was high 30s/low 40s and wet.

Then I ran a 25K barefoot in low 30s and dry two months later.

Then I ran another Half barefoot in low 30s and dry a couple of weeks later.

Then I ran another Half four months later barefoot in the low 30s and dry.

I hope this helps and I haven't bored you.

Is this an indoor or outdoor track. What is the surface made of? What time of day will you be running on it? You need to consider your answers before pushing it too much.

Other than that, I can't speak to speed. I'm a turtle. Good luck!

i think you can take the

i think you can take the class with little to no problems but like TJ i would ask questions to you. i recently burned my feet pretty good running on a track. it felt great until i was finished. the problem with a track is the rubber has lots of gaps and grooves and they hold heat in so that gets transferred to you feet. mind the temps and that wont be an issue. if it gets hot you need something like vffs or aqua socks..something to cover your feet.

with sprint work i find that doing barefoot requires you to just go. dont focus a ton on the form of it all as you should be getting plenty of turn over for a good cadence. with slower paces you have to focus a lot on form to keep a good cadence and form. with sprints it all comes kind of naturally as long as the the muscles can take the stress. first sign of tofp or achilles pain you need to back it down and make sure everything is ok. this can be tough in a group where you are the only barefooter but you gotta listen to your feet more than the people in the class.

Thanks Guys.  I appreciate

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the advice. I never really thought about the increased speed definitely will induce higher cadence and quick turnover but I should have because every time I focus on increasing my cadence- my speed picks up.

Glad to know that you started some longer distance runs pretty quickly TJ. Did you experience any TOFP during transition?

Not really.  There were a

Not really. There were a couple of days where I seemed to have some tightness on the top of one foot, but nothing ever came of it. It never stopped me from running. What's odd is it didn't take place early on in my transition either; I'd say about three months in. Fortunate, I guess.

I did the Tuesday night track

I did the Tuesday night track workouts with my running club to help me qualify for Boston this year. I'm convinced that the Jack Daniel's 800 intervals helped me to shave another 20 minutes off my best time by raising my lactic threshold level, to barely squeeze in a Boston qualifying time. Can you imagine 700 of us on this track at the same time at different speeds? It got pretty crazy at times. I was the only barefooter, except for Rob the last few weeks. The first track we worked out on for a couple months felt really good. I prefer a little bit of texture versus a smooth surface. The second track the last couple months felt like small gravel covered with rubber. It was a challenge the first day, but like all surfaces, I used it as an opportunity to adjust a to different texture. Because of the speed I was running on the track, it gave me an opportunity to really fine-tune my form which I was able to apply on race day. Before I started the track workouts, I was running pretty slow. The track workouts helped me build the confidence that I can be barefoot and run fast too.

Barefoot Glen

I love BF trackwork! It's the

I love BF trackwork! It's the only way to fly for me. Those and tempo runs have made me alot faster BF and in xc flats. I do think however, that they are harder on my feet than long BF runs or tempo runs. For instance, 5-6 miles of intervals leave my feet more taxed than 12 at an easy or even moderate pace. I personally think shorter tempo runs w/ a mile warmup and cool down will be easier and teach you better form more safely than running multiple 800's, 400's, etc at your threshold pace. Once you get comfortable with the form, and your feet can take it, intervals are amazing. They are by far my toughest and most enjoyable runs. Aside from maybe an epic, long trail run.

I wonder about the track's

I wonder about the track's surface. What about the rubber-topped surfaces? Does that wear more on the skin than say dirt or asphalt? I wonder how Todd Ragsdale managed running 102.65 miles on one in his last 24-hour ultra. (See News Show feature on the BRS home page. Pictures too!) The rubberized track closest to me is black. In the heat of the day, it would be nearly impossible for most BFRs to run on it. Todd's track was blue. Of course, it was not as hot as black, but I wonder how hot the blue track got.

Glen- awesome on the BQer. I

Glen- awesome on the BQer. I hope I can someday do the same (and bf no less)! No, I can't imagine 700 on a track at once. 50 is probably the perfect number for a class but for some reason I was shocked there were that many. This is my first class ever and I just assumed it would be more one on one style but you're kind of out there on your own- just given instructions and told to get at it. Still- pushes me more than if I were truly on my own. Its the competitive nature, I suppose, of runners next to them. So the more folks that are there- the more chance there is a group that will be in your competitive realm which gives you that extra kick!

2wheeldrive- so do you think that if my little pigs can handle these track intervals- then tackling the longer distances at a more moderate pace shouldn't be a problem? Or are you saying- this speed session business is a little too soon and isn't a good thing? Should I be working my way up in distance before I attempt the speed bf? I'm really unsure if I'm doing the right thing considering I have been having some TOFP pain. It is improving however. Of couse, so is my form. I agree- intervals were always my toughest workouts but also the ones I looked forward to the most.

TJI your form must have been excellent from the beginning. I'm jealous! I rarely had any issues running shod and here I am running bf to avoid injury (and increase my speed-

Of course- who am I kidding-

Of course- who am I kidding- speed was my primary factor). The track we run on is clay red but we run at the crack of ass so it hasn't gotten hot yet.

My instructor thinks I should run the majority of my runs in minimalist shoes or running flats during my transition period. He did say he doesn't have a lot of experience with bf but he did the cold turkey transition from typical running shoes to cc flats and experienced the same thing I am now and had to back off significantly. I don't want to lose ground. I know I said it before- but I'm impatient!

I have been running on four

I have been running on four neuromas the last couple of years, and when I run, I'm sure it shows. Somehow, I've managed to find a form that works for me, not pretty, but works for me.

Wendy, for me personally, it

Wendy, for me personally, it was tougher on me to do intervals than long easy miles or moderate distance tempo runs. I was doing easy 8 milers regularly with no signs of wear on the feet. But when I would do 5 miles worth of intervals, I would get hotspots and some TOFP. I think it's both tougher on the skin, the tendons, muscles, and bones in the feet, especially when your still working on your form. Once my form improved, these too went away. Everyone's a little different, but this has proven very true for me.

I think you're probably

I think you're probably right. I tend to have more TOFP when I'm running faster paces than slower ones. I haven't ramped up the distance yet since going bare for fear of TOFP and blisters. Five miles is the most I've gone and I did that fast. I'll just finish out my class (I paid for it) and then only do my fast runs for the class since that's just once a week and really concentrate on form on my other runs while decreasing my pace. Once I finish out my class- I'll start tacking on mileage slowly. I hope it doesn't take me a year to get back to my mileage and speed bare. Guess I'll just have to go with it regardless!

I found that with each

I found that with each speed increase, I had to aproach it like I was starting over, as if each speed increment required a different form. I'm sure it was just that each time I increased speed, my form went back to old bad habits (like over striding and pushing off), but I really had to focus to keep my form. My only issues were blisters though, never had TOFP until I did the ultra in VFFs. I really think TOFP is worse in minimal shoes than BF, but that is just a hunch.

I have found that Interval

I have found that Interval training / Hill Speed Work required a completely different method. In high school I was a sprinter. My events were 100 Meter and 100 Meter hurdles. All power came from the hips and legs and was transferred to the ground through the feet pushing off and driving into the ground with every ounce of energy. Barefoot, this would be a difficult task as it would shred the balls of the feet. Some form of protection is required.

Sprinting barefoot requires a much more refined approach. In my experiments I found that a gradual acceleration, straight and aligned body posture with the weight moving through the center of the body, forward knee thrusts engaging the hip flexors, solid arm swings with thrusting back motion, exaggerated lean from the ankles without a body lean and a very solid mid to forefoot plant followed immediately by a strong pull are essential. Any attempt to push off barefoot ends in hot spots and torn skin. Gravity is used to accelerate the body but to increase the speed, a forward drive of the knees and a strong swing of the arms can help increase acceleration without increasing the force exerted on the foot.

I like intervals on hills mainly for the added intensity but it also creates a situation where it is very hard to run in bad form. To climb a hill you need a high knee step and an exaggerated knee thrust as well as a forward lean from the ankles.

I included this picture because I love the alignment through the entire body. ;)

girlrunning.jpg

Now where did you find my

Now where did you find my picture!? ;-)

nice lavarunner.  i'm pretty

nice lavarunner. i'm pretty sure TJ didn't want you to post that one!

thanks for the advice. I went out this morning for my speed session and wore minimal shoes. it was much easier than last time. not sure if it was due to the shoes or the fact that i no longer have tofp. god bless that! i can tell now when i run that i am leading more with the hips. funny because someone here at brs had just mentioned that to me and i had intended to read more about it and just hadn't had time. then today- it just kind of naturally happened. progression, i suppose.