Barefoot hiking sherpa experiment

pbarker

Barefooters
Sep 19, 2010
I could not bring myself to buy an expensive pack for the one back country trip we were planing.
The large duffle bag in the garage would have to do. I did buy some Velcro shoulder straps to soften the bite into my shoulders. Then I the idea come, attach a simple strip of cloth and create a sherpa head strap.

The hike was only 3.5k one way, not too crasy a distance to try something new.
So after doing some research and finding an old sturdy length of cloth, I fashioned
the strap, made some adjustments and proceeded to test the duffle bag sherpa strap while cutting the grass.
Worked better than I expected. Sleeping and waiting until the next day is a practical way
of test if you have caused damage after straining a new muscle group, no stiff neck in the morning.
I did the hike with minor difficulties. The biggest thing was to place the load high so that i had a brace for my head and position the strap on top of my head. This way I was not contantly staining my neck muscles. There was some neck stiffness, a little self massage took care it.
Would defiantly do it again. image.jpg image.jpg

Nice terrain! and my goodness that's a big bag:jaw drop:

Reactions: pbarker
And then he puts a bag on top of a bag?! Glutton for punishment! Glad to have you back, PB! Missed you.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test