Barefoot gaiters?

duelle

Barefooters
Nov 20, 2012
Michigan
We just got our first real snowfall (4-5in.) and I went out for a test run/hike to see how my feet handled it. For my first time in snow that completely covers my feet, I'd say 15 minutes was pretty good. However, one thing that bothered me was snow getting up into my pants and soaking my base layer, which I can see becoming a problem when outside for prolonged periods. I found something in regards to barefoot gaiters (http://www.bhthom.org/hikertxt.htm#XI_c) and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them or something similar. They seem like they would be perfect for someone starting their first barefoot winter. Also, is there anything anyone recommends to reduce the chance of dry, cracked skin from winter dryness?

Interesting. Never heard of the BF Gaiters before. As for your problem with snow going up your pantslegs, I wonder if using a velcro strap to close the cuff up around your ankle would do the trick (like what cyclist use to keep their pants cuffs from getting caught in the chain).

We just got our first real snowfall (4-5in.) and I went out for a test run/hike to see how my feet handled it. For my first time in snow that completely covers my feet, I'd say 15 minutes was pretty good. However, one thing that bothered me was snow getting up into my pants and soaking my base layer, which I can see becoming a problem when outside for prolonged periods. I found something in regards to barefoot gaiters (http://www.bhthom.org/hikertxt.htm#XI_c) and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them or something similar. They seem like they would be perfect for someone starting their first barefoot winter. Also, is there anything anyone recommends to reduce the chance of dry, cracked skin from winter dryness?

Haven't heard of BF gaiters, I use a ankle band (wrist band) to cover my ankles and with the combination of that and my winter running pants it seems to the trick for not allowing snow up my pants.

Regarding something good for prevention of dry cracked skin, check out this product, Made For Skin Natural Skin Balm. It is a all natural product made in Canada (actually Winnipeg) that is perfect for prevention and repair of said skin. I use it on my face when I go running long distance in the winter, it also helps prevent wind burn as well. Awesome stuff.

A couple of things.

Go with the wrist bands like Bob said. Nothing tight, you don't want to restrict and blood flow to your feet. I just cut up some tube socks and used the upper portions on my ankles. I don't think you will be spending that long of time in the snow to specifically buy gaiters. Also, most gaiters have a strap under the foot that would be a little annoying.

Skin Cream. You live in Europe, right? You can't beat Penaten. I use it on my heel fissures. I try not to put anything on the bottoms of my feet. It makes them too sensitive for the next days run. Enjoy the winter running.
images

Reactions: Barefooting Bob

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts