Back home from vacation

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
We were gone for 2 1/2 weeks to visit my parents and my hubby's parents.

My parents live in Yuma, AZ. It's HOT there. :) I grew up there but didn't run when I was growing up. It actually wasn't THAT bad, as I'd gotten accustomed to heat here in Texas too. I just had to leave really early before the sun got hot. I ran barefoot there, and it went great. My mom has started running recently, and she was having knee issues. She doesn't want to switch to BFR, but I was able to show her how to run with a better form. When I was there she couldn't run more than a mile or so most days. We left there a week and a half ago, and she's back up to 3 miles! Hooray for better running form! I also got to go on one run with my dad, which was fun. It's a joy to run with my parents; it's not something I did as a kid since I didn't start running until last year.

One day we drove to San Diego, and I got to run on the boardwalk and beach--yeah!! It was worth the Achilles pain I later had. I'm not used to sand, but I'm glad I got to run in it!

My hubby's parents live in Susanville, CA, in the mountains. (It's 90 miles northwest of Reno, NV.) They are at 5000+ feet elevation, so there was some adjustment there, and I was slower than usual. But the weather was AWESOME. Never out of the 60s for my runs. Then they had a cold front come in, and yesterday when I ran there it was in the low- to mid-40s!! Awesome. I did almost all my running there in my new ZEMs, and they did great for me. (There's more gravel on their roads than I'm comfortable with.) I really liked the ZEMs; that's the most minimalist running I've done.

I didn't miss any runs on my vacation! I was lazy with strength training, but I'll get back into that this week. I was just glad to get all my miles in.

But coming back home...UGH!!!! I didn't run until 8 this morning (later than I usually do). It was 79 degrees, 89% humidity. Thankfully there were some clouds, but it was still icky. My feet were a little tender since I spent over a week running in the ZEMs instead of barefoot. It was a rough run mostly due to the gross weather, and tiredness after a long day of travel yesterday.

But it's my birthday (33!) and so I'm glad I stared it with a barefoot run! Starting off the day (and the year) with a rough run is better than starting it off with no run at all!

I'm up to 2.5 miles on my weekday runs. My "long" run this weekend will be 3.25 miles, the first time I will have gone 5K+ since starting to run barefoot. I'm so glad I've been taking it slowly.... My body really is adjusting, and even though I get aches and pains I haven't had any injuries. Hopefully my training will keep going well as I work toward the half marathon I'm planning to do on 12/5!

Just thought I'd post a quick update since I've been mostly MIA the last couple of weeks!

Happy Birthday!It looks like

Happy Birthday!

It looks like your vacation got you to run in very varied conditions. I'm sure it will be beneficial.

I should follow your example and take it slowly: on Saturday I ignored the slight pain under my toes and didn't want to stop to put on my huaraches and 5k later, when I got home I realized I was bleeding. The skin under 2 of my toes was gone and I haven't ran since Saturday. I felt so stupid. I was mad at myself, it was such a nice run and now I have to wait several days to enjoy another nice run. Fortunatly I think I have enough skin regrow to run tonight, probably with the huarache.

It is very motivating for me to read about you runs on your blog and to see your progression. Maybe it will motivate me enough to follow your example and write down a reasonable training plan before my first race in November.

Enjoy your Birthday.

Stephanie

Ouch, Stephanie!!! That

Ouch, Stephanie!!! That sounds pretty painful. I definitely have some hot spots today but I'm sure my soles will readjust soon. I've got a couple of days off of running (had to rearrange my schedule a bit this week thanks to a business trip hubby is taking) and hopefully my run on Saturday will feel better!

Thanks for the encouraging words (and for reading my blog!)

I met my husband when I was

I met my husband when I was your age, Beth. We've been together 11 years now, married for 10. Sounds like a nice well-rounded vacation, and like you are progressing well.

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birrrrrrrrthday dear Be-eeeeth! Happy Birthday to you!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test