Article: Bow Hunt by Nyal

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
" I felt something there I had seen before and I felt compelled to understand it. I felt my Soul through my soles. I have been unshod ever since."

Hey, that was great read, thank you, Nyal :D

That is such a great analogy. Thanks Nyal for putting into words what some of us feel about barefoot running. I didn't start because of injuries, nor was I inspired by BTR. I made the switch because it was a new challenge, a chance to see what my mind and body are capable of doing.

I actually did start barefoot running in response to an injury. But I kept barefoot running because I fell in love with the simplicity. Relying not on the highest tech shoe, but training my feet to support and cushion themselves.

Your story reminds me of the reason I started to shave with a straight razor instead of my Mach 3. Many people talk about how much closer a shave you get, or how much more comfortable it is, or how much money they used to spend on razor cartridges. Critics complain about how dangerous it is, or that "you'll slit your throat." But I don't care about any of that (well, I don't want to slit my throat). I got a great shave with my Mach 3, I had no irritation with it, and I didn't have to replace cartridges that often since my beard isn't super coarse and doesn't grow that fast. I picked up a straight razor because I thought it'd be cool to learn the skill, the art of getting a close, comfortable (bloodless) shave without relying on the latest spring-loaded, tilt-head, multi-blade, vibrating razor. Something about just a sharp piece of steel going head to head with your beard; I thought it would be fun to learn. Did I bleed a bit at first, yes, but each shave it was less and less. Did I get crappy shaves at first, yes, but each one got a little better. Now I have this new skill to enjoy, shaving, now, is a pleasure, not just a chore.

I feel similarly about barefoot running. It's a skill, a technique something I can challenge myself to be better at without being dependent on technology. And I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy the looks of consternation from the uninitiated.

Awesome & inspiring--thanks for writing this, Nyal.