Anyone use the Endomondo app?

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
I've been using it ever since I got an Android phone this spring. Its a decent app with tons of features and three tiers (free, a one time fee, or premium monthly) I did the one time small fee. I could do a full review but its late now and just curious if anyone else uses it and wants to be friends on it.

My only big gripe so far, is it tends to add mileage. This is probably more of a problem with my phones gps not being that great rather than the apps fault, but there is still calculations the software makes when it looses a signal what it does, like draw a straight line between good points, or does it assume you have continued on at the same heading your were last travelling? In any case, where my reception is poor it does tend to place me all over and add mileage (my garmin is much more accurate in comparison).

I have been using it the last few weeks because they support your ANT heart rate monitors, and Strava doesn't. Strava does seem a little more accurate. Some other reviews I read state endomondo is roughly 5-10% incorrect in regards to distance. Not sure if that's true. So far my bike and run commutes have been pretty accurate compared to Strava.

I have to say it seems to lose connection more than Stava, especially under trees. Then again that chick tells me every time it auto pauses, which strava does not so it may just be that I am more aware of it. Strava might also have better logic built in to connect the dots as you say. In fact I seem to remember reading that Strava doesn't give you current speed because of this issue?

The auto pause is extremely annoying though, every time I make a quick turn it seems to think I stopped running. Trail running is skecthy and hill repeats are a complete failure.

Heart rate monitor connection is quick and flawless once you get it set up.

So not sure if I want to explore the social aspect, I may dump it if I can find something that works better with trails? Or just use it for biking?

Auto pause is a setting you can shut off - I shut that off right away (or esle it came that way for me, I don't remember). Though sometimes I forget to manually pause it if I take a 5 minute stretch out or something. No biggie but it does skew your overall pace to be slower.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test