Anyone run on their lunch break?

Not lunch but more

Not lunch but more mid-morning. I try to get in 4 miles 2-3x a week. Will be bumping that up to 5-6 mile each time in the near future. My course

I pretty much always work out

I pretty much always work out on my lunch hour...5 days a week. The fitness center at my work has maps for a running course, but I've only done the treadmill at work so far. It's been 98'-99' here in Texas lately and the last time I ran BF in 88' weather it was pretty rough on my virgin foot soles. After my 5K race this Sat night, I'll be working up to more BF running, but probably in the AM or at night. In the fall, I may hit the streets naked from the knees down...

-Jonny

Most of my running is done

Most of my running is done during my lunch break for convienence. The heat has forced me back into vibrams (no lines to run on) and soon will force me to run either early morning or maybe even at night.

I just got a job in downtown

I just got a job in downtown Denver and performed (is performed the right word??) my first lunch break run yesterday. Lovely downtown, lots of parks, lots of clean sidewalks.

It is weird walking past all my co-workers in light little shorts barefoot. But you gotta do what you gotta do. People seem baffled that anyone would like to exercise in the middle of the day, but I was literally jumping with anticipation. I felt the way I do before a race - eager to go, get out the door, let's go, let's run!

I run quite a bit during my

I run quite a bit during my lunch breaks and even have a Wednesday group run where about 5 or 6 co-workers get together for a quickish 6 miler.

Tuesday I used my lunch break to scout a local trail system. And Friday I plan to scout out another local trail system. My devious plan is to find trails that are near enough to work where we can at least get 5 or 6 miles in during a lunch break and then begin converting my co-workers over to trail runners.

I run instead of eating

I run instead of eating lunch, but now that it's getting danged hot here in Atlanta, I'm going to "lunch" around 10:00. Any running after 11:00 in the current heat level (95 degrees F) carries sole burning with it, even on short asphalt crossings, and most of my runs are full asphalt.

Omg i thought of this post

Omg i thought of this post last night! i work the NOC shift but rarley get any breaks period, i wore a new pair of five fingers to work, and finally got a break walked outside, and said i feel so fresh i need to run......but i didnt. crazy in some way i thought of you and this post. This actually seems like it would be an amazing idea, i might need to get a little into this. thank you for the idead

I run instead of eating

I run instead of eating lunch, but now that it's getting danged hot here in Atlanta, I'm going to "lunch" around 10:00. Any running after 11:00 in the current heat level (95 degrees F) carries sole burning with it, even on short asphalt crossings, and most of my runs are full asphalt.

------
Phil, have you found a trick to acclimate soles to running on hot asphalt? I want to (in the future) start doing street marathons in sunny hot Spain that often have late start times ... and the hot asphalt could be a challenge.

Canary:

My only workable solutions so far have been:
- run in the shade all the way
- run on cooler surfaces (grass is about the only one I've found that works, and of course grass can hide a world of dangers)
- wear some sort of minimal footwear (VFFs work best for me)
- or run earlier/later

I hope these options - none of which are brilliant, I realize - give you some workable solutions.

-------

------
Wow! that is VERY interesting and amazing. I like the connecting link too ... http://ahcuah.wordpress.com/2013/06/28/the-seri-boot/
Canary:

My only workable solutions so far have been:
- run in the shade all the way
- run on cooler surfaces (grass is about the only one I've found that works, and of course grass can hide a world of dangers)
- wear some sort of minimal footwear (VFFs work best for me)
- or run earlier/later

I hope these options - none of which are brilliant, I realize - give you some workable solutions.

-----
THANKS! In studying websites on the topic, the answers are very similar to your conclusions for hot asphalt ...

~ avoid it!
~ good technique & fast cadence mean less time on the ground
~ look for shade
~ run on white lines
~ look for different surfaces near course route (dirt, grass, etc.)
~ look for puddles to run in

~ carry running sandals when past your limit
.... now, heat acclimation through routine exposure to hot sand! :)

Reactions: Phil Hart