anyone know what this is?

... it teaches you to land with a relaxed foot.

Exactly. That's the most important part. The more relaxed foot the less bruises you get.

I run in dim nightime urban lighting. I tried running with a headlamp, didn't like it. Now I've gotten used to all the little pebbles and debris. It's like a little massage, and it teaches you to land with a relaxed foot.

Exactly. That's the most important part. The more relaxed foot the less bruises you get.
This is what I wanted to hear. :)

Reactions: happysongbird
Why didn't you say so:smug:
Hey Dama, you'll be happy to know I finally hurt myself lifting weights. I strained my hammie while deadlifting yesterday. I've been pushing the weight increases a little too quickly it seems. (Although I've lifted heavier than I did yesterday). Now you get to say you told me so! I'm so happy to have made your day.

OK, I guess I should mention that I felt a niggle on the run home beforehand, so it's actually a running niggle made injury by going ahead and lifting afterwards anyway. Should've just called it a day or gone light. Lesson learned, maybe.

Hey Dama, you'll be happy to know I finally hurt myself lifting weights. I strained my hammie while deadlifting yesterday. I've been pushing the weight increases a little too quickly it seems. (Although I've lifted heavier than I did yesterday). Now you get to say you told me so! I'm so happy to have made your day.

OK, I guess I should mention that I felt a niggle on the run home beforehand, so it's actually a running niggle made injury by going ahead and lifting afterwards anyway. Should've just called it a day or gone light. Lesson learned, maybe.
What the??? Didn't I warn you so??? but you never listen of course.
Seriously though, sorry that you're hurt but I think you got it all backwards, cause I think the heavy lifting is doing the straining and it's showing when running. I do not think that running is in fault here, is not like you're doing intense running or running super distances.
And no, I am not happy that you're hurt I hope that you can take care of asap. I seriously doubt you'll learn your lesson though(please don't hate me).
Cos it sounded too good to be true.
But it is true!!

What the??? Didn't I warn you so??? but you never listen of course.
Seriously though, sorry that you're hurt but I think you got it all backwards, cause I think the heavy lifting is doing the straining and it's showing when running. I do not think that running is in fault here, is not like you're doing intense running or running super distances.
And no, I am not happy that you're hurt I hope that you can take care of asap. I seriously doubt you'll learn your lesson though(please don't hate me).

But it is true!!
Thanks, I was just kidding of course.

I think I did learn my lesson. I'm going back to my old MO, and never increasing weights until the weight increment I'm at starts to feel easy or when I can do more reps. This is the first time something like this has happened. My old MO has served me in the past. It's just with deadlifts, there seems to be a wider range of what's doable. With squats and bench press, either you can or can't do a certain weight.

At least this is evidence to my point that deadlifts, and not squats, put more pressure on the knees.

Thanks, I was just kidding of course.

I think I did learn my lesson. I'm going back to my old MO, and never increasing weights until the weight increment I'm at starts to feel easy or when I can do more reps. This is the first time something like this has happened. My old MO has served me in the past. It's just with deadlifts, there seems to be a wider range of what's doable. With squats and bench press, either you can or can't do a certain weight.
Sounds like a plan and I hope it works. It seems to me that you've been more injured now than when running was your primary activity. I don't know.
Refresh my memory, what's MO?

Reactions: Bare Lee
Sounds like a plan and I hope it works. It seems to me that you've been more injured now than when running was your primary activity. I don't know.
Refresh my memory, what's MO?
MO = Modus Operandi = method, approach, program

This is the first 'injury' related to strength training, and it's more of a strain than an injury. I was now just walking around a bit and that made it feel better already. Helped loosed it up. It's kind of like the stiffness you get from a long run, a run that's past your normal capability, except with this it's more concentrated in a single area. I think it's the hamstring, mostly, but it's pulling on the whole knee. I'll know in a day or two if it was something more serious, but since it's gotten worse since I lifted, I doubt it. Serious injuries tend to be acute ones, right?

My running injuries--TOPF, sore MCL, and ITBS--you may recall, have always been due to a lack of stretching and massaging, and even yesterday, I felt like stretching all day after a good, if short, run in the morning, but I didn't. So even this lifting injury is tied to running! Running just winds me up, and I need to become more religious about preventive stretching and massaging. For lifting, I have been experiencing pain in my left shoulder, off and on, for many years, and I used to put this down to an old acute injury, but more and more, I'm finding it's at least manageable and often cured by, once again, massaging and stretching.

The thing with deadlifts is that I've found there's a considerable range, perhaps 40 pounds, where you can make the lift. With the bench press and squat it's more like 5-10. In the past I was extremely cautious, mainly concerned about injuring my back. But once I found my back could take heavy deadlifts, I began experimenting to see how much I could lift. Anything over 315 feels heavy, but I can actually go up to 365. I've been up in this range for a few months now, so even after feeling a little niggle on the run home yesterday, I didn't have reason to suspect it would affect my deadlifts. It did. Moral of the story: don't do really heavy weights unless you feel good and loose. Everyone on the meathead sites talks about how deadlifts take their toll, but I thought I was tolerating them pretty well. Now I know to back off. Live and learn.

Live and learn.
One sure hope:D.
Just take it one day at the time. Are you ever going back to running the distances you once were?
Maybe you should run more and lift less? I guess lifting is just as addictive as running, is it?

Reactions: Bare Lee
One sure hope:D.
Just take it one day at the time. Are you ever going back to running the distances you once were?
Maybe you should run more and lift less? I guess lifting is just as addictive as running, is it?
For the time being, the plan is to get my 5-10k pace down while I work on my strength goals. Then I'll get back to longer runs, maybe in the spring. It seems like running fitness comes back relatively easy, but it seems worthwhile getting a little stronger while I still can, and strength development is more of a long-term project. In general, I'm favoring intensity over volume, in both running and lifting, so I doubt I'll ever run much beyond 10-14 miles at a time. Plus I weigh a lot more than your average distance runner. Still, even now, my running hours per week should be more than my lifting hours. Lifting will never take more than three hours per week, and once I attain my strength goals it should take less, as I'll then just work to maintain those levels until mortality starts chipping away at them. The immediate running goal is simply to run 5k every morning right after I wake up. Try to see if I can sustain that. I know a lot of people would disagree, but I question whether it's really that healthy to run much more than an hour unless you're really built for it. Similarly, it's probably not that healthy to be lifting heavy singles all the time;).

But yes, to answer your question, I find both running and lifting addicting. I've never done one without doing the other. With the lifting, it's been fun exploring the various approaches and figuring out which one best fits me, kind of like I went through with running 1-2 years ago.

My hypothesis is also that lifting will make me a better runner, although that hasn't proven to be the case so far, except my form and posture feel super solid right now. I won't find out if there's been any improvements in pace until I can run consistently for many months in a row.

Lee, we majorly hijack hula's tread.
Sorry Hula:sorry:

Reactions: Hulahooper
Lol don't worry. I've recently started lifting too so it's been interesting to read. Had missed your screen name so hadn't made the connection of it being you. :)
Are you allowed to lift? The reason I asked it's because I am prohibited to lift more than 15 lbs.

It's recommended for the hypermobility.
Interesting, but I failed to connect hypermobilty and lifting. How lifting helps the issue?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts