Anyone drink and hike?

nature runner

Barefooters
Jun 13, 2010
I had a few cold ones and hiked 3 miles on some very awesome trails bf today. loved it. I sweated all the beer out by the end of the hike lol. It had some wicked rocky hills.

Actually, yes, once or

Actually, yes, once or twice. I got buzzed, dizzy, was really hot, really worn out, and I loved it.

I used to drink and then

I used to drink and then backcountry snowboard, which included a bit of hiking. Nothing like cracking open a cold one after a great run and before the long trudge back up.

I usually only do it in

I usually only do it in winter, but today wasn't bad either. Love barefoot hiking, even saw a doe in the woods, closest I ever been to one!

Oh, cold ones, as in beer.  I

Oh, cold ones, as in beer. I don't drink beer. It tastes yucky...to me. I like a little liquor now and again, not often though. Captain Morgan's in my fav right now. I used to like Southern Comfort, Jack, and Jim quite a bit when I was younger, and when I was younger, younger, I liked Boone's Farm Tickle Pink. Yummy!

Barefoot TJ wrote:Oh, cold

Barefoot TJ said:
Oh, cold ones, as in beer. I don't drink beer. It tastes yucky...to me. I like a little liquor now and again, not often though. Captain Morgan's in my fav right now. I used to like Southern Comfort, Jack, and Jim quite a bit when I was younger, and when I was younger, younger, I liked Boone's Farm Tickle Pink. Yummy!
I am allergic to liquor, but I can drink moonshine? As long as I know where it came from. The old timers still have the original equipment, new timers got radiators, which is death in a jar yuck! I am not big on drinking, just a lil here and there.

Maybe sounds little rough but with cold weather i always take some vodka with me, in hard-core winter conditions i use 80% mix, as it's sure not to freeze.
With really cold weather it's a fuel, gives energy and it's really hard to get drunk cause it wears off quick.

Summer times is a whole other story.

Wow metavo you resurrected an oldie...
ThreadNecro.gif

But since we are on the subject... I've never really drank before or during a hike, especially a long gruelling one - that could be really bad! But one thing I've done is put a few nice cold ones in a cooler waiting for when I get back ;). Got one of the super duper 5 day or whatever it is rated cooler, and park in the shade if possible.

One thing I've been meaning to try that others have done... I have an alcohol stove for cooking my dehydrated meals when I'm on the trai. Its called the Whitebox Stove...
whitebox_original-640_zps2393d1d1.jpg

Very simple and durable, no parts to fail, extremely light (~1ounce) and you dont need a special container for the fuel. It runs on denatured alcohol, but will also run well on Everclear 95%. Supposedly it burns quite well with the high grade Everclear, but is much more expensive fuel! But its multi purpose... besides fuel it can be used for medical purposes on the trail - sterilizing minor wounds I suppose, as well as making it a little easier to sleep on the ground! I hear if you mix gatorade powder and everclear it will make a good backpackers cocktail. Havent tried it yet, I'm not sure but I don't think I can get the Everclear around here.

Back in younger times, I would get home from the bar after it closed, sleep a few hours and go run 6-7 miles. Hangovers were puked out on the side of the road. Will quite often have a few beers and go walk the dog. Only issue is the need to pee. Thank God I live in the country!!

Reactions: migangelo
I have drank right before running once, and liked it -no need for a warm-up. :D I plan to do so again when I take up barefoot hiking, soon.

Reactions: Bill Brushey
I remember sharing a campsite with 4 guys who knocked off a bottle of port and kept us awake for ages. They didn't make it out of bed before we left, which was surprising because I've never made so much noise packing up a rent in my life.

I've never tried it myself, I wouldn't want to carry the extra weight.

Still, I'm not a beer drinker.
OK, had some 80% vodka with me on 60 km hike this weekend and if mixed half with cranberry syrup it was quite OK to drink.
Still I'm the first guy to be up in morning, making tea, breakfast and packing up.

Yeah, a few weeks ago I was cooking something that required a "splash of beer". I'd to open the bottle and ended up drinking the end of it. I got a taste for it then and sank another one. I was due a run that night and decided I'd not had that much and that I'd go anyway. It was one of the best runs is had in ages! I'm doing MAF training and trying to keep my hr low. I kid you not, it seemed to help! I was running a consistent pace with a great hr! Got home feeling epic!
I then remembered the tarahumara drink corn beer (I think it was corn beer) before their long runs. The low alcohol, high carb content fuelled them perfectly. I was also given an alcohol free beer and the end of the Titanic 25k last year. Lol, there might be something to it!
I did briefly give some thought to sinking an alcohol free beer at the start of the marathon but thought the crazy looks of barefoot guy, drinking beer at 9am at the start line might be too much for the organisers to take!