Any knitters out there!? Making your own winter running gear...

Sloutre, that is genius!

Sloutre, that is genius!

Try the meathead hat for fun

Try the meathead hat for fun warmth.. it's also knit doubled so it goes fast and it's super warm.

meathead-hat-455b.jpg

I can see that some fingerless gloves or longish gauntlets would be helpful too, but I'd need some that were manly. Or at least sasquatch-y.

Knitting a kilt sounds like

Knitting a kilt sounds like A LOT of fun! This is the closest I can get to running kilt patterns (thoughts of seam-chafing aside):

Sidewinder ...nice!

Hot Tamale ...funny, I'd love to see a dude in this one! Saypay.........?

Flirty Skirty ...so simple, looks like it might be best for running.

If you don't know about ravelry.com make sure you go to find the patterns. Billions of free ones online. I could spend all day there if...I didn't have things to do. Sigh.

"Diane, you should see this

"Diane, you should see this picture someone posted, a barefoot runner running in deep snow!"

'Hold on a minute, I'm counting'

"Diane, hand me the coin box, there's a toll booth coming up"

'As soon as I finish this row'

"WOAH! The bikes are falling off the van! Give us a hand real quick!"

'Can it wait a few minutes? I'm trying to undo a mistake'

I'll leave you's guy's alone on this thread, knitting's been driving me crazy lately.

She did take a break mid trip......to do some beading!

Longboard--ha!Sloutre--cool

Longboard--ha!

Sloutre--cool mittens! And your hat story is so funny. A friend of mine tried to make a baby hat when she was learning to crochet.... It turned out too small for a doll (but too big for a Barbie....) It was hilariously tiny.

The knit stuff I depend on

The knit stuff I depend on during the Winter (other than a hat) is a wool, fingerless glove, with a mitten cap that's like Sloutre's but, folds back out of the way. I've had two problems with these that I've wished the manufacturers would address.

First is the way the mitten cap fastens to the back: This is typically done with velcro. Sometimes the velcro holds so well that I end up inadvertedly breaking the stitches which hold it on. Other times, the velcro itself wears out. The velcro is obviously the weak link so, something other than velcro would be nice, I just don't know what would be optimal.

Second is that the leather, used both to aid in gripping things and to reinforce the wool, often doesn't go far enough down the palm. I've had to replace gloves several times because there wasn't enough leather. The one pair of gloves I have which does have enough leather, has lasted me considerably longer than my other pairs have. I guess the problem doesn't really happen WHILE running (unless the wearer fell) but, I depend on the gloves when I run and, the holes which form in the palms during other activities are annoying no matter what I'm doing. Leather that extends down the whole palm also aids in driving.

Nyah, I have a pair of gloves

Nyah, I have a pair of gloves like the ones you're describing except that the mitten cap is held back by a button instead of velcro. There's a small loop on the tip of the cap (like it'd be sprouting from the middle finger), and the button is sewn onto the back of the hand, just above the wrist. Works great!

If anyone wants the granola

If anyone wants the granola recipe, let me know. Mary, thanks much for the kilt info!

Sara

get a thin wool blend. wool

get a thin wool blend. wool is not only nice and natural but it will keep you warm even when wet. I like a 80% wool 20% nylon blend (others will work as well).

nowadays you can get machine washable wool. be sure to do a knit/pearl type pattern to make them elasticized, that way they will be snug and stay up without cutting circulation.

check out www.ravelry.com for patterns, many are free to download.

good luck

Another knitter here.. I only

Another knitter here.. I only wear wool socks on my feet.. and am looking for minimalist shoes I can wear them inside of in the worst of the MI winters as I have poor circulation.. haven't headed outdoors to run because I don't want frostbite.. I have knit colorwork gloves and convertable mitts for myself- plan on making another pair of the latter with long cuffs for running.. and I have 2 "wimples" made- one from possum sock and the other from a cashmere/wool blend in a heavier yarn.. I find that they are perfect and if neither is warm enough alone I can wear both.. they can pull up over my head if needed, or tuck down around my neck...

khyricat, if you are looking

khyricat, if you are looking for minimalist shoes to use with your wool socks, I highly recommend the Soft Star RunAmocs. They are a great winter option because they are roomy in the toe box and highly adjustable www.softstarshoes.com/

This thread has inspired me to see if my very crafty wife and daughter might want to support my running habit . . .

Hi khyricat,Try

Hi khyricat,

Try www.softstarshoes.com. I bought my first pair last year and live in them when shoes are a must. They have a soft leather sole and the upper, also leather is also very soft, slightly thinner. The closure around the ankle is elastic, but loose. They shouldn't irritate your circulation.

Sara

Hahaha I have to 3rd the

Hahaha I have to 3rd the motion on the Soft Star shoes...you'll notice in the first pic on this thread I'm wearing my RunAmoc suedes with a trail sole. They handle snow and ice really well and they don't hug your feet too much so a couple pairs of socks fit inside real easy. The suede stays relatively dry, at least on my 6 milers through the snow, which surprised me!

My favorite socks are smartwool, all the way. But then, I am from Colorado where they're made ;)

Welcome, Birgitte and Cat!

Welcome, Birgitte and Cat!

I'm ressurecting this thead

I'm ressurecting this thead because I was at my local knitting store the other day and I saw these:

Suede soles for slippers/minimalist casual shoes! I wanted to shout at my lovely yarn-selling lady, "DON'T TEMPT ME WOMAN!!!" ... yeah, now I've GOT to make my own walkin around shoes. Could you imagine suede-soled shoes in the summer, just for bumming around? I'm sold. Now I've just got to choose a pattern...and get some cotton yarn. I seriously requested about 10 books on shoe-making from the library.

Oh the excitement!

You have become a shoe nut,

You have become a shoe nut, Ms. Mary! Going backwards on us, huh? Teasing, of course. ;-)

Hahahaha just a crafty nut!

Hahahaha just a crafty nut! :shy:

One always needs protection from discrimination of people. Without people I think it would be easier to be barefoot...hahaha.

if you don't mind my asking,

if you don't mind my asking, why cotton? I would be using a wool or wool blend for those.. same as I would for socks... just finished 2 more pairs of socks... and 2 pairs of convertible mitts recently.. all of which MIGHT get used for running (I still need the shoes, but if they have anything inside it will be handknit wool socks)

Ahhhh cotton because I'm

Ahhhh cotton because I'm thinking of making some uber-minimal shoes for family functions / formal occasions. Right now I have a trip on my mind to see my brother's graduation from the Air Force in May. While I would LOVE to be barefoot on lovely base grass I'm afraid my mother would give me "The LOOK" and I would crumble. *sigh.... :puzzled:

Since it's very warm and very dry in TX I figured I could throw together something that's nice (almost...trendy?) and fit my giganic caveman feet in them. Cotton is dry and breathable. Not warm at all, so no sweaty feet. Suede soles are so appealing because it would be like having almost nothing under my feet - almost nothing at all. Better than huraches. I've been drooling over Soft Star's suede-soled shoes for a while and what the heck...might as well make my own. I need to find sheepskin suede because apparently it wicks sweat more and keeps the feet cool.

I really wish I was a cozy-foot slipper person. On Ravelry there are all sorts of lovely felted slippers but I'm not the slipper type. I just really want an excuse to get my feet on top of thin suede, really :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS