Any hashers?

Joe Butkus

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
In a former life, I used to do a lot of hash runs. I haven't done that for a number of years but there does seem to be a fairly active group of hashers here in Northern, VA. I am thinking about joining up again. Anyone do any barefoot hashing?

I'm a hasher wanna be!  I'm

I'm a hasher wanna be! I'm hoping to get involved in the group at our next duty station. Only hang up is our last kid at home is 12, old enough to be left alone for a Saturday afternoon once in a while, but don't want to do it too often. From the looks of it, hashing is no kid friendly, LOL
tigger2.gif

Ok, I'm totally naive here,

Ok, I'm totally naive here, never heard of hash runs...fill me in please? Esp with a smilie like the one you posted Wendy, I'm intrigued.

Reactions: BarefootMoi
Hashers are drinkers with a

Hashers are drinkers with a running problem! Great bunch, but very adult atmosphere so not something you want to expose kids to, and kids would spoil the fun (grown ups gotta get away once in a while!) Here is a good old Wiki on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers Googleing will bring up a ton of groups. I told DH that we need to join, I can run and he can man the keg
smilienotworthy.gif

I have a way better stash of smilies, but the page I usually draw from won't work with this site.

Yeah, definitely not a kid

Yeah, definitely not a kid friendly atmosphere!! It has been about ten years since I have been to one, but we always had a great time. You never knew how far you were going to run, but you were always guaranteed some drunken debauchery!

oy, that sounds like some

oy, that sounds like some interesting stuff. S'pose I could just sprint around the cul-de-sac with a 40oz in hand...think the neighbors would be keen on that idea?

http://www.urbandictionary.co

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hash

Thought you were talking about this ^ hah

I was gonna post something on

I was gonna post something on this, but I figured I should do a search to avoid polluting the board with repeat posts.
I have a few thoughts on the subject of BFR hashing.

1. Do you think the alcohol consumption associated with hashing is inherently more hazardous to BFRers? E.g. reduced coordination, impaired perception, altered decision making, etc. So much of BFR safety is based on the ability to recognize hazards (even tiny ones) and deftly avoid them. Also, I wonder if you might see a degradation in form associated with intoxication. Granted, I've never done any hashing, so I'm not sure how much alcohol we're talking about here.

2. Due to the unpredictable nature of hash runs, carrying a pair of minimal shoes is probably a good idea, even for hard core barefooters. You know that mythical place all the opponents of BFR seem to think is so common, the glass strewn plateau? On the off chance this place exists, hashers will find it (or something similarly hazardous to bare feet). So even if it's just a $5 pair of Walmart AquaSocks stuffed in your back pocket or CamelBak, I for one would rather bring 'em and not need 'em than the alternative.

3. And this is possibly the most important point: if you DO choose to bring no shoes at all, what will you drink your beer out of at the end?

We're going on the

We're going on the inaugural run of the new local HHH chapter in 3 weeks. I think I'm going to wear shoes for it (at least VFFs)-- I don't want to run barefoot through the bar district at dusk even when totally sober.

My future has arrived... and

My future has arrived... and I thought running was going to be boring. :)

S. Pimp.

Greg, on point one I think a

Greg, on point one I think a little bit of alcohol might be good for your form since it'll make you relax. Then again, more than a little will most likely work in the exact opposite way so it's a fine line... :party:

San Diego does have quite a

San Diego does have quite a few chapters and the San Dieguito half marathon is actually sponsored by them. Imagine a 1/2 marathon with alcohol served at the aid stations. One of the last stations actually had a bar where you could order mixed drinks.

And the post race food had some of the best chili I have ever tasted! I really should run this race every year!

I've often wanted to join one of these groups but never could never build up the nerve to inquire about joining. Some day I suppose.

how is this different from

how is this different from my regular weekend runs??? Oh, yeah...OTHER PEOPLE!

JK...I would so be into this!!

The Atlanta AJC Peachtree

The Atlanta AJC Peachtree Road Race 10K is known for all the booze and liquor you can muster. All along the course, people are handing out every conceivable concoction. I don't partake...during a summer run like that. I would pass out from the heat if I drank anything like that.

(BTW, this 10K has approx. 55,000 runners every year making it the largest in the world.)

I thought hash referred to

I thought hash referred to something else
smile.png

also, I've stubbed my big toe like 3 times in the last 3 weeks doing this (not even drunk, just drinking). I do not recommend it...nor will i stop.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test