Another nonsense study

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Should Women Be Barefoot Running?
Outside Magazine
The conclusion that women can reap extra benefits from running barefoot seems to lack a valid basis in substantive research. Photo: martinedoucet/ ...

The author of the Outside Magazine article completely ignored the findings of the study that she linked to.
The researcher mentioned the documented higher incidence of certain injuries in women over men.
He then set out to determine if barefoot running could lessen these injuries.
The results confirmed that barefoot running had the potential to decrease those types of injuries in women.
How that author became a writer for a magazine I can't understand, her basic premise that she sets out to disprove has absolutely nothing to do with the study she attributes it to.
Here is the researcher's conclusion:
Conclusions: Barefoot running resulted in lower HADD, HIR, and CLPD when compared to being shod at both IC and 10% of stance, where the body’s kinetic energy is absorbed by the lower limb. Because excessive HADD, HIR, and CLPD have been associated with knee injuries in female runners, barefoot running could have potential for injury prevention or treatment in this cohort.

It's Outside Magazine! Ranks up there with Cosmopolitan and National Enquirer.

Yeah I guess I got all upset for nothing. It doesn't phase me when a tabloid or other useless rag is reporting nonsense, but for a moment I wanted to believe that Outside was to be held to a higher standard. I totally had forgotten what a non journalistic publication they are. Thanks for reminding me!

Reactions: Bill B and Sly