Adidas Sued over their adiPURE Trainer Toe-shoes

When I wore shoes I switched to exclusively New Balance because of the widths available, but had to pay full retail and go to their special stores. I would have suffered with cheaper narrrow discount store ones were I younger and less able to afford them. It's probably a limited market, people with wide feet that even realize there is a solution, special stores, and $ to spare.
Barefoot is just SO much easier!

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
It's not my reasoning, it's the way the industry works. I agree it's not a good system for meeting consumer demand, but most people don't understand why some shoes make it to market while others don't. It's sort of like the U.S. electoral college- we don't vote for the candidate, we vote for the people that vote for the candidate.

The solution- more people need to open shoe stores that cater to wide widths, then all the people with wide feet need to shop there. Manufacturers don't respond directly to consumer demand because consumers don't buy many shoes directly from them. Manufacturers respond to shoe buyer demand at the retail level.
I meant the reasoning you presented, not necessarily your personal view. I do get it and I know how the system works. The system the way it is will never get righted because the local stores don't like to carry widths. If I want wide shoes I always have to order them and then are on the hook for them (local stores) without ever trying the wide ones on! (Who wants to pay for shoes they don't know will fit?) Luckily the NB outlet store here carries different widths. I have yet to find a local store that carries the TG in the wide version (not even the Merrell outlet store. They were shocked when I told them they do in fact make a wide version of the TG). I hate to order those online without every trying them on when I already know the regular ones are way way way too tight in the midfoot. Afraid the wide ones would just be too tight, not way way way. :D

Shoes too tight in the toe box and forefoot can lead to Morton's Neuroma, along with a host of other injuries. Something's got to change.

How do we change it though TJ? If the common person doesn't even know there's a problem, how do you change that? Lawsuit against the big boat anchor shoe companies? Someone like Jason working with these shoe companies and getting the word out about shoe fit? Will it even matter (look at those that wear high heels, not for the comfort but for the fashion despite many knowing they are not good for their feet)?

But Jason, I also know of people that think they need a thick cushy heel, and in fact that's an attribute they look for. It's all fine and dandy to get the shoe companies on board, but we also need to get the medical community as well as the common joe. We all know how a lot of the medical community feels, and yes I've read some of your correspondence on the one podiatry forum. My own podiatrist when I saw him while on a run wouldn't even say hi to me. Needless to say he's no longer my podiatrist, but he was mortified to see me out running barefoot, his eyes got huge and then he got a huge scowl. How do we change all that? It just seems like it's a tall order. Not meaning to be negative nelly here.

Nick- over the last four years, we've made tremendous progress in the shoe industry and the medical industry. We're essentially reversing a paradigm that has been building for four decades. My advice:
  • Don't be a purist d-bag, it hurts those of us that are changing minds
  • Support your local running store by buying shoes from them and engage them in discussions about minimalism, especially the shoe buyers.
  • Connect with other local BFR/MRs
  • Be a good representative by being a nice person. Smile a lot.
  • Work to advance your own knowledge base, which includes anti-barefoot stuff. Have empathy.

Reactions: pitbullmamaliz
All of which I do (I mean except the purist d-bag part, and I don't have lot's of money for shoes so I don't purchase those very often) :D . I personally don't care if one wears shoes or not, hell, I do occasionally. I guess I've only been involved in minimalist/barefoot for a little over a year and it seems here locally, people are still freaked out by it.

Jason has some good points there. I think we are effecting change, little-by-little, although it's slow. Just having these conversations here and all over elsewhere, we are cluing in people who didn't have one. (We have a lot more readers than we have posters, A WHOLE LOT!) You can always write to the shoe companies and tell them your opinion. You can always start a friendly petition, then send that over to them once you have a ton of signatures. Let them know what we want. What we need.

Yes he does and I almost always agree with him. I just want better shoes NOW and am impatient! Lol! I know I am affecting those in my neighborhood slowly, but it seems whatever little I do the Oregonian or some other media does 20 times more to counteract.

Reactions: Bare Lee
The Oregonian sucks, that's what I know.

Yup TJ, I couldn't agree more (about the Oregonian), but then I also don't watch the news anymore. I look at the news online and pick and choose what I want to read. I don't like seeing all the bad in the world that the news shows. I prefer to see the good in the world. The world IS in fact a better place than the media portrays.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Regarding wide shoes- another option is to frequent the handful of online stores that sell wides. I highly recommend these peeps. I got to meet them this last year... AWESOME folks. They understand minimalism.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/wide-shoes-sp_id8

If the online retailers sell enough, the manufacturers will up the production of wide models. It effectively eliminates the "shoe buyer' problem with brick and mortar stores.

So you are saying you would sue asics, saucony, and, of course, Nike for me for damaging my feet so badly that I am affected for life?

Otherwise, your post feels a little spammy.

um, and for me all the cute, "supportive" and not so cheap casual shoes that deformed my feet over decades, and the culture that made me think they were so nice and good for my feet.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090