about wearing thin socks "for hygienic reasons"

Hobbit

Barefooters
Oct 20, 2012
France
Hello everybody,
In a lot of studies about barefoot running versus shod running, the runners who are going to provide the so called "barefoot" data are actually not skin to ground, not even skin to treadmill, but are wearing "thin socks for hygienic reasons".
And this is supposed to be reliable barefoot data. :rolleyes:
However, there is a big difference between skin to ground and thin sock to ground.
Skin to ground you have grip because feet are always slightly sweating: Barefoot on kitchen tiles is generally no problem, but thin socks on kitchen tiles would be hazardous - you could easily slip and fall.
So to avoid slipping in socks, your movements would not be as natural and relaxed as when skin to ground - even when the ground is less slippery than kitchen tiles. Unconscious memories of slipping in socks will prevent you from running as you would skin to ground. Tiny muscles in feet and legs will contract to avoid any possible slipping - and this of course has an impact on running form.

So what is the worth of "barefoot" studies done in thin socks?

Ken Bob Saxton always said thin socks are the next best thing to barefoot. Not the same thing, but the closest.
Just about everything he said in the past has turned out to be true once scientifically tested, so researchers should keep this in mind when designing their studies.
Thin socks is NOT barefoot, therefore those studies are meaningless.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention Hobbit.

Ken Bob Saxton always said thin socks are the next best thing to barefoot. Not the same thing, but the closest.
Sure, they are the next best thing if for one or another good reason I can't or won't run skin to ground (I'm not the Ice Man and in freezing temperatures I'm quite happy to wear socks and even Min shoes!) but in this case I'm aware of the differences in stride and general running form and would not call this "barefoot" and even less try to prove something or other with this "next best thing".
In terms of running form, I suppose wearing socks outdoor would be better than socks on a treadmill for the winter training. (And during outdoor training in winter, socks could actually provide some grip on frozen surfaces.)
However most of these barefoot versus shod studies are done socks on treadmill.
It would be interesting to do a study on how the form of a barefoot skin to ground runner is affected by a winter of socks on treadmill running.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Just about everything he said in the past has turned out to be true once scientifically tested, so researchers should keep this in mind when designing their studies.
Thin socks is NOT barefoot, therefore those studies are meaningless.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention Hobbit.
I always said that. I didn't know Ken Bob did too.

Funny, I was talking about this very thing to my hubby today. My son's VFFs showed up...we'll see if the school and/or PE teacher actually lets him wear them, but that's another discussion for later.

Anywho, I saw him struggling to get them on and thought he had tried to put them on with his socks on too! Ha! Of course he didn't, but this led me to a stupid conversation with my hubby.

I asked, "What's the purpose of socks in shoes anyway?"

We had our answers, his first being stupid: They're for absorbing sweat!

But you guys tell me what you think they're for.

Like having a daily washable liner is probably the main reason, as well as making leather sewn shoes feel a bit more comfortable.

That's what I thought too. To stub chaffing and to provide better heat. Socks (and surgical booties) are a much better choice than shoes if you have to cover your feet; otherwise, barefoot is best.

Socks do keep your shoes cleaner on the inside. I don't like to wear shoes or socks, but I have noticed that my minimal shoes get sticky and smelly pretty quickly without socks. That is why I have never tried to wear the VFFs.

Do these treadmill runners have to wear gloves? Germs are everywhere.;)

s-exercise.png