A Trail Run with Spurv

Nyal

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
I talked the wife into letting me use her camera on my trail run today. Since I am a true egomaniac and am convinced that everyone is as interesting in me as I am, I decided to share. Take a jog with me.

020.jpg

This is the start of my run, just a quick road trip up to the Lord's Gate.
021.jpg

And this is the Lord's Gate. I find the name very apt as what lays on the other side is close to heaven. There are a lot of these cliff-hill structures in this part of Norway and it is very common to have a road run between them. This is a relatively major neighborhood road.

As expected, this is the beginning of the trail system, about 100 meters from the Gate.

022.jpg

The trail looks friendly from the road, but it gets quite technical right away. High roots and rocks on a steep uphill for a few hundred meters.

023.jpg

After crossing a small spring, taking time to play in the mud, you encounter a wider trail with brutal gravel, roots, and broken ceiling tiles used to fill in the mud holes in the spring.

025.jpg

You are rewarded after a few hundred more meters with a nice meadow. I have to watch out for dog poo, as it is a popular dog area.

026.jpg

Over the next hill and back into the forest we encounter more tricky roots than have been seen yet.

027.jpg

And if those aren't challenging enough, you find a steep downhill into an obstacle course of rootiness.

028.jpg

And no, these are not small roots.

029.jpg

And to keep you on (or off) tour toes we finish with boulder on a very steep section.

030.jpg

Finally, after a mile, I am back off the trail. Surely I can rest my weary feet now.

031.jpg

Sadly, another mile of gravel awaits. But it does lead you to stop number one: Grubesand beach, where Norwegians come to roast hot dogs.

032.jpg

No time for a swim, though, I have another mile of trails to go! Back into the forest with me.

033.jpg

And up a another cliff. They are calle åser, by the way.

034.jpg

And what's on the other side of that åse? Why it's Auvetangen, overlooking the Mefjord...

035.jpg

and of course Bendtserødkilen.

036.jpg

Whoever said that primitive man never ran on hard surfaces has never been on the top of an åse.

037.jpg

Time to turn around and run the route backwards now. All told, 3.25 miles, all barefoot. I did manage to get lost on the way back, as this is a new area for me. Next time, I will take pictures of the OTHER side of the peninsula, it is much worse.

hey, I ejoyed the tour,

hey, I ejoyed the tour, Spurv, thanks! :D

If that's the kind of terrain you're on all the time, then you really should stop looking at my pace. It's like comparing Bratwurst with Smoked Salmon or something, doesn't compute.

Thanks for the tour.

Thanks for the tour.

Breathtaking! I can't wait

Breathtaking! I can't wait till school is out, and I can go play barefoot in my backyard, Waterton Lakes National Park. Your pics only make me less patient for the wait ;-)

fabulous!!  And quite

fabulous!! And quite interesting that my PA mountain trails look very similar....without the fjiord....but I think I read somewhere, that both of these landmasses were created together, so it makes sense :-D

I love it here in

I love it here in Sandefjord. That was one trail of about a dozen within a 3 mile circle of my front door. I split my time between trails and roads cuz I have to pay attention to my form.

I am a bigger egomaniac than

I am a bigger egomaniac than you :p

That looks like and absolutely spurvulous run! Where was it at? And where do you live? I see you talking about Utah but that isn't Utah.

GOREGEOUS!  I would love to

GOREGEOUS! I would love to run there. Thanks for taking us with you.

LavaRunner wrote:I am a

LavaRunner said:
I am a bigger egomaniac than you :p

That looks like and absolutely spurvulous run! Where was it at? And where do you live? I see you talking about Utah but that isn't Utah.
I am splitting my time between Utah and Norway. Yipee!

What's with the elephant and

What's with the elephant and a pole sticking out his hiney?

Nyal wrote:I am splitting my

Nyal said:
I am splitting my time between Utah and Norway. Yipee!
That is a pretty monumental feat. Have you run much in Utah? There are some sick trails. although I am not living there now I can hook you up with trail runners or give you direction to a few great runs.
Lake Blanch Mill B
is one that comes to mind. I used to run and hike it several times every summer

Yes, I figured it was a

Yes, I figured it was a slide...butt...I mean but...I don't get it. Why would someone stick it there?

Barefoot TJ wrote:Yes, I

Barefoot TJ said:
Yes, I figured it was a slide...butt...I mean but...I don't get it. Why would someone stick it there?

Well...I mean.....THAT'S the joke!

I guess there are worse

I guess there are worse places they could stick it.