A nice run yesterday, well mostly...

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
My run yesterday started out fantastic. It was one of those beautiful skies that I usually try to photograph, but didn’t have time. I love scenery, whether it be the mountains or just countryside, and I love deep blue skies, sunsets, nasty looking storms, etc. There was a storm system in the southern sky that made that impressive contrast between the deep blue sky overhead and to the north, with the occasional bright white puffy clouds and the line of dark storm clouds across the southern sky. The edge of the storm was nearing the position of the sun so that it cast rays. I just love these kind of skies, and getting to see them as I run along.

Anyhow, I went out for a run after checking that the wind seemed to be blowing east like normal, figuring I'd get to watch the edge of the storm past by to the south as I ran. It did make for a nice run, but the edge kept moving further north. There was some awesome lightning action to the South. I love watching lightning too, I have a small collection of some lightning photographs I've taken I ought to share sometime (not that they are that great though). About half way through my run the dark storm clouds were now overhead. It must be the wind pattern up higher in the sky was a bit different than what I felt on the ground, or it changed after I checked. Should have looked at the radar. I felt a few raindrops... great. Now don't get me wrong I love running through puddles and such but as a glasses wearer rain in the face I prefer to avoid. Plus it was getting dark and I just had my prescription sunglasses. I just purchased a visor specifically for running in the rain (or also in bright sun), but when I left I honestly didn’t think the rain would be an issue and the sun was low enough in the sky (evening) that the visor would do no good with that. So after pretty much and entire season of no rain, and soon after getting a visor to keep rain off my face and glasses, I ended up getting caught in a rainstorm without it. :mad: Hearing thunder overhead was a bit unnerving as well, especially on the more open stretches of the road. At least it was only light rain... well until the final mile that turned into moderate to heavy rain driven in my face with high wind. :mad::mad: Luckily my phone and headphones survived the soaking, and I didn't mind it myself other than basically being blind. But honestly the first half the sky was so neat I still call it a great run.

I got caught out once and had lightening hit so close I could smell the sulfur, and I swear my hair stood on end. My dog tucked his tail and turned around and ran home. The dumba$$ did not realize that we were almost done already, Spend another 5 miles out of my way in a torrential downpour, lightning, and thunder chasing him to make sure he got through the intersection safely. He is such a brave one. NOT. :mad: Now if I am not sure of pending weather I check the most current radar just to make sure I do not get caught out like that again. :)

Reactions: Tristan-OH
We were in the US in July, and indeed, the skies are so wide and beautiful... In overcrowded Belgium there's always a building in the way...
But as I noticed back in July... the rainstorms in the US too are something different than rainstorms in overcrowded rainy little Belgium.
I love running in the rain (even as I'm a glasses wearer too), but our rains usually are only very light rains compared to the rainstorms I saw in America (Wyoming and Utah).

Reactions: Tristan-OH
Ziploc bags sound like cheap insurance! I need to do that. I was also really kicking myself for leaving my visor at home when I bought it for just such conditions. My phone is fine though I took extra precaution as soon as I got home I pulled the battery out and opened the case and let it dry. My headphones however dont come apart, and though they were working at the time they might be dead now. Went out for a run last night and they made a hiss noise and wouldnt synch up to the phone. The power light that blinks blue (or red if batteries low) would come on solid but dim red which I've never seen before. Fingers crossed that it was just really dead, so got them plugged in and the light indicates charging, I guess I'll see when I get home.

I watched a distant thunderstorm the other day as i was climbing a long ridge, i thought if i pick up my pace i can just make it over the top before it arrives. The sky got darker and more angry, i loved it, but like you was unnerved at the same time. When you get that sudden temperature drop and feel the charged atmosphere its amazing how your pace can pick up.

Reactions: dutchie53
got caught like that out on my bike afew weeks ago, thought I'd skirt the storms, I was wrong. All the electronics, ID etc safe in zoplic bags in my jersey pockets, but I got a good soaking.

Not so much worried about that, but I was on my racing steed with skinny tyres and no tread to speak of. Very gingerly around the corners with a few twitchy ar$e moments.

Well my headphones didnt make it. Battery is fully charged now, and its doing the same thing. Dang. Looks like its back to wires for a bit while I research what they have out there for bluetooth. Think I'll hold off though for a week or two just to see if it dries out some more and might start working. I suppose I could put it in a bag of rice or something. Should have done that the first night.