A hurache tie job that lasts 80 miles

Okay - here's how I did the

Okay - here's how I did the tie job. I did it back in early August and have put about 80 miles on these suckers. They are invisible shoes, and I did slip-on style as detailed in the video. The key it seems is getting the knots like this:

I have the excess in this double-noose, which I always meant to cut off but now I can't be bothered:

TOTALLY need to redo my nailpolish - I've put probably 40 miles on this blue sparkly stuff, and it's starting to chip.

Most excellent, Silly.  I

Most excellent, Silly. I will take note when I put my kit together. Now that this edition of Run Free is history. I should have time to get to making them. Although I won't be running in them for quite awhile. :cry:

Sexy toes.  Nice to know that

Sexy toes. Nice to know that the polypro rope has held up, esp. the part that goes under the sole. I'm using the same stuff only with a diff tying method.

So no tutorial on how you

So no tutorial on how you tied these exactly?? I'm struggling with keeping mine tied and from slipping off my heels, while walking around in. Haven't even ventured to run in them yet.

Thanks!  I'll get on that. I

Thanks! I'll get on that. I really need to figure out the slip on, I think it would be a lot easier than the traditional, which gives me fits sometimes. 80 miles is GREAT!

Zumba - I used the slip-on

Zumba - I used the slip-on method that Steve demonstrates in his youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwEusN9DCxw

IMO, the key to keeping the back up isn't tightness, but "hitching" up on the the side knots. When you make the knot at 1:35 in the video, pull it tight by pulling upwards towards the sky. If you follow Steve's instructions, your knots will lie flat and not slip.

Anyhow, I'm out of practice at tying huaraches now, since I haven't done it since August!

I may change the extra lace knot on the front at some point, but a part of me says if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think perhaps the nylon

I think perhaps the nylon holds together better then the leather that I have.

And you have prettier feet then I do which probably plays a factor somehow.

I thought Silly had pretty

I thought Silly had pretty feet too, but I wasn't going to say anything about it. :shy: I should have. Sorry Silly.

Zum, we should make Silly our foot model when we get pictures of all the foot jewelry and anklets we're going to sell.

That is dirt on your feet in

That is dirt on your feet in the first picture, right? It almost looks like you were grilling your feet. And as for dealing with the extra cord I just make another loop or two around my ankle and then tie it down somewhere. It gets in the way a bit when putting them on, but otherwise its not noticable. I don't wear mine that much anyways, I prefer just my bare feet.

Yup, that's dirt, Danjo!  I

Yup, that's dirt, Danjo! I took some pics after I came back from the 21.4 mile trail run because they were impressively dirty. The ones with the huaraches on are about two days post-21 mile run. I don't wear these when I run on roads. I'm training for a trail marathon that starts about an hour before sunrise, so I think a bit of protection is probably a wise move. And if I'm going to run the race in them, I better do some of my training in them.

Shacky - the the leather is definitely more attractive, but this nylon cord is absurdly functional. The knots hold well, and I think because it is round, it tends to roll rather than rub. I typically forget that I have them on.

Thanks for the complements on my feet. The condition of my feet has been one of the biggest shockers for me about barefoot running. I've been a runner for a long time now - I was thinking it was 10 years but now that I look back, it's actually 9 years. I've never run this much before, but I always had bad feet. I had bloody feet. I had bad toenails. Who knew my squishy toenails were from the running shoes?

Thanks Silly, I like to think

Thanks Silly, I like to think that I'd been doing the tie Steve demonstrates....though it may have morphed into something entirely different. Haven't watched the video yet, though I'll give the "hiking the knots to the sky" a shot to see if that helps :) Oh, and your hired...foot model for BRS store's foot jewelry :shock:

TJ, sure thing Silly feet for BRS Store it is! ;)

Silly feet.  Hee.

Silly feet. Hee.

THANKS!  It's working for

THANKS! It's working for me! SO much easier than the traditional.

I'm a big fan of Steve's

I'm a big fan of Steve's method too. I use it to tie my leather laced Lunas. The leather will always slip a little bit, but it holds better than the method Ted has on his website.

Another great thing about that tying method is that you can make the toe strap very loose to prevent chafing on your toes, but still make and keep the ankle strap really tight to keep your foot in place. The Ted method needs to be kept really tight all over for me. Makes it a lot more comfortable and easier to adjust.

I made some hurraches over

I made some hurraches over the weekend, but cheated and used some poly webbing and a tri-glide to keep it tigthened. Works great. I was pretty unhappy with the laces I was using so the webbing is a big improvement. Plus I don't have to tie those SOBs anymore. I haven't run in them and don't plan too, but the 4mm rubber is nice for the bike.