1st Time on the Dreadmill

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
My son is signed up for swim classes at the Y 2 nights a week these days and I've had such a terrible time getting myself outside to run, what with the cold, snow and wind, that I broke down and had one of the staff show me how to use a treadmill. I ran for half an hour wearing my Bikilas my first go and didn't hurt myself, which I consider a successful initiation. Last Saturday I ran 3 miles (36 laps) on the track upstairs. Having tried both now, I will use the TM for my (inferior quality) indoor running.

My question for the panel, then, is this: what do you find to be an optimal strategy for getting through a sub-optimal running exercise?

Thank you for your kind contributions.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
Would you consider performing some other form of exercise, so as not to subject yourself to a lower quality running experience?

If it must be running, then perhaps distract yourself with music, an audiobook, or news radio? Some places even have TVs. Treadmills can be noisy, so noise reduction headphones may help.

An alternative might be meditation or astral projection, so as to remove your mind from the inferior running experience.

(Hmmmm. Something's going on with my keyboard, maybe. I've had responses nearly done 2x and they've Pffft! disappeared. Oh, well..once more will do it, maybe.)

I'll go to the TM again tonight and try some ancillary exercises to spice things up like medicine ball lower body balance / strength enhancers.

To ease the time I'll use a meditative method from my old lap swimming days - reciting poetry in my head. My faves are Kipling's Gunga Din, Edward Lear's The Yongy Bongy Bo, Longfellow's The Wreck of the Hesperus (23 verses!) and Jabberwocky by Lewis Carrol and the Hungarian language version of that poem by Sandor Weores. The poetry thing just doesn't do for running outside, where I thrive on being PRESENT for each step for lots of good reasons...

BG, I agree. I just can't seem to get my cohones to descend enough to get my sorry ass outside. The TM is a miserable excuse for exercise, imo, but better than watching Malcolm in the Middle reruns ad infinitum.

It got up to 14 degrees today, no sun, and barely enough room on the roads for two cars to pass with all the piles of snow.
I hit the 'mill.
Sucks, but there aren't too many alternatives.

It got up to 14 degrees today, no sun, and barely enough room on the roads for two cars to pass with all the piles of snow.
I hit the 'mill.
Sucks, but there aren't too many alternatives.

I'm in the same boat. The roads are clogged with snow and ice. What I have been doing to fight the treadmill boredom is to do resistance and running on the same day. About 25 min of each (plus 10 warmup /cool down.)

When I do just cardio I split time between bike and treadmill. If you wear a hr monitor, constant heart rate mode on the bike is pretty challenging. For me anyway.

Much of my workout lately has been shoveling snow though.

I have no problems running on the dreadmills... at-least mine at home I can do barefoot. Its nice after weeks of freezing my @$$ off outside to be able to actually feel hot and sweat a little. Reminds me of summer. :) And I dont have to carry water or my tunes, gps, whatever (not than everyone does that anyhow but I do). But it does feel odd, and longer runs the belt gets warm. But the thing I like the least is it feels harder to run. I dont know what it is, but even running a 10 min pace on a treadmill seems tough for me, but outside I have to really try hard not to go faster than that while just doing my warmup.

I'd run outside, I don't mind cold (but strong wind when its so cold is a deal-breaker for me), but depends on the snow situation. I can run on the trails up to about 4" of snow comfortably. But depending on weather, if its started to melt, then refreeze, etc, can make for some nasty conditions. Especially when footprints turn into icebergs hidden under an inch or two of snow. The heavier traveled parts can turn into ankle twisting messes, and miserable if not dangerous to try and run. And out on the road, well my narrow country roads I wouldnt dare running with snow since the roads are barely wide enough for two cars to cross without going off the edge, and with a snow bank there isnt an option to run on the shoulder.

I always loved winter, even dealing with crazy amounts of snow when I lived in northern NY. But it sure does put a damper on running now that thats very important to me, and especially barefoot running. I havent been able to barefoot since December I think (except the treadmill).

I saw that Valley Forge Park paved trail was clear when I drove through this afternoon. I should have gotten out for a run while I could, but heard the call of my bed for a PM nap. I'm still recovering from driving a snow plow 2 nights at the end of last week. I know that I'll be able to get out there soon though! We have 50F weather on the forecast for later in the week!

Reactions: happysongbird

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts