11 barefoot miles in the rain.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
It was downpouring this morning as I headed out for my run. I have ran many times in the rain barefoot but only for about 5 miles, 11 miles was the longest I ran in rain. It was a fun run, the feet were great, not one blister or abrasions. I maintained a 8:35 pace, and even did a few fartleks to test the feet with a bit of sprinting in wet conditions, all good!

My shirt was soaked and feeling heavy so I took it off, it was about 60 degrees but I felt vibrant. A loin cloth would of been ideal for this run, a modern day tarzan on the concrete jungle. ha! ha!

I have to say it's a great feeling treading through ankle deep puddles, and not having to worry about wet material on the feet.

Isn't it awesome!  I just

Isn't it awesome! I just LOVE my rain runs more than any other kind. I wouldn't be able to pull off the loin cloth though, or even the Eve version.

right on LBF!! Bet that was

right on LBF!! Bet that was invigorating.

I know partly what you

I know partly what you mean... I did 18 miles in the rain last week in my VFF Treks. It's amazing how quickly gear weighs you down when it's raining. Shedding my pack, leggings, shirt, etc would have been liberating (don't get too carried away, ladies ;-) ). I can't wait until I can do that distance in bare feet. Rain, mud, and puddles always make me feel like a kid again... wahoo!

LBF - sounds like an awesome

LBF - sounds like an awesome run! I do alot of muddy tech trail runs and they are a blast, if you don't mind going down once in a while. Feet really grip the trail well when dry but when wet...not so much! There have been many times when I've emerged from the trailhead, covered in mud, barefoot, and gotten some stranger than usual looks.

Boy, we have a lot of guys

Boy, we have a lot of guys around here with BIG heads! Geez! Pictures, please...

ewheeldrive wrote:LBF -

ewheeldrive said:
LBF - sounds like an awesome run! I do alot of muddy tech trail runs and they are a blast, if you don't mind going down once in a while. Feet really grip the trail well when dry but when wet...not so much! There have been many times when I've emerged from the trailhead, covered in mud, barefoot, and gotten some stranger than usual looks.

Sounds like a blast!

I know the wonderful feeling,

I know the wonderful feeling, It rained about 3-4 miles of this weekends 12 miler. At first I was thinking, rah roe, this can be bad, no shoes but it all turned out well.

Wow, that is some encouraging

Wow, that is some encouraging news to me !

I always read there is no way to run barefoot in rain because after a mile or so the skin on your feet would be soaked up with water, soft, blistering and tearing up.

It brings me hope someday I will be able to run in a rain too when you guys can do it. My feet just need more conditioning I guess.

paraganek: Running barefoot

paraganek: Running barefoot in the rain is just awesome! In fact, I make a point of running when it rains if I can. It's really liberating not having to worry about getting my shoes wet and also it's just so much fun to splash through puddles and stuff.

Running barefoot in wet

Running barefoot in wet conditions is definitely a lot of fun. Ran my first complete trail race on Saturday barefoot 7+ miles (12 km) thru all kinds of puddles, mud (the up to mid shins kind), and wet grass, and loved every minute of it. Nothing better than feeling mud between the toes, and unlike everybody else, I didn't have to clean a pair of socks and shoes, just had to spray my feet and legs down.

Janine and I are getting

Janine and I are getting ready for the Warrior Dash in Quarryville, PA. One of the "obstacles" is a section of a stream that we will be running in. Janine's worried that this will be bad for barefooting and she's thinking about carrying the Teva Protons, which have great traction. I'm hoping to do it barefoot, but I might bring some backup. Is there anything that we should watch out for?

From my understanding it is

From my understanding it is important to avoid wearing your foot pad down by running on dry, hard surfaces after softening your foot on wet surfaces. Once a good solid pad has developed it may be a little different story. I don't know as I am still very much a barefoot beginner. I have noted a difference on my feet when running in my Vibrams for long distances. The sweat that softens up my feet also wears down my pad enough that I am more sensitive when going barefoot afterwards.

inbetweenmytoes: Now that you

inbetweenmytoes: Now that you mention it I experionced that once. A couple of months ago I ran to a lake where I met my family and we swam and had all sorts of fun. The road was a pretty smooth kind of chip seal so it wasn't a problem on the way there. When I tried to run back home though I just couldn't. Since my feet were softened from the bathing I felt like I was about to blister after about half a mile and anytime I stepped on a pebble it was ten times more painful than it normally is. I ended up walking most of the way home.